LATEST REVIEW: PLANET ECLIPSE ETEK EGO
Whats New: The ETek Ego is a completely new Ego designed from the ground up. Although some of the parts are interchangeable with the Eclipse Ego, such as eye covers, LPR cap, Feed Tube etc the majority of the internals, frame, trigger and body are not. They have been designed with simplicity and durability in mind, yet also keep the same high performance expected from an Eclipse Family product.
The Frame: The Grip has one button and 3 LED's that illuminate through the EGO letters. The indicators for boot-up and shutdown is very noticeable . The "eyes off" or "eye malfunction" display were quite easy to see. The LEDs are bright and easily seen in the bright sunlight.The frame has a lot of room for your fingers and the trigger setup out of the box was amazingly good, maybe a tad hard but that could easily be helped by adjusting the spring.
Bolt: Nothing spectacular, looks like a cut down version of the original 06 Bolt
Barrel: Looks similar to all the other eclipse barrels from the past. Works great.
Performance: The first thing that was noticeable was that the gun has very low kick. Feeling the Nexus and the E-Tek side by side there was no big difference. Shooting fast in "true semi" I shot about 16-17 bps without a problem. The trigger is really smooth has an excellent finish and nice feel to it and it was easy to rip the gun. The gun is fast enough for any tournament, responsive, and shooting straight lines.
Weight: Simply feeling the marker in your hand made no big difference to any other Ego, DM6 markers. The Etek has been cut down to reduce the amount of weight. But still has style so when you walk out on the feild you not only play like a pro you look like one. 2.47 Lbs with barrel.
Sound: It is not noticeable louder than the other Egos.
Efficiency: If you have a 4500psi fill you cannot carry enough pods to outshoot a 68ci tank, of course better than any spool valve marker efficiency wise.
Overall: For the price you get a whole lot of marker. The Etek is of solid construction with options to upgrade and is a fast reliable tournament level marker in my opinion.
- Body – New 06 ETek Body. Def Tek offset feed tube, No Frame Tag slot, No Frame Tag, Body-Ported Barb Fittings for Rammer Inlets. Dual ETek Rubberized jewels, ‘Cocker Threads
- Feed Tube – Standard Clamping Feed Tube the same shape, size and fitting method as Ego 5 and 6.
- Barrel – New 13" Length, reduced porting, reduced external machining, new formed stick-in rubber badge. ‘Cocker threaded.
- Bolt – New Shape. Much shorter version of Ego 5 Bolt. Same Ramped Top, ramped ball detent grooves, open bolt face, Drilled single hole inlet, plain shape at rear. Interchangeable with all Ego 05 and 06 bolts.
- New Valve Chamber and Valve – Enlarged Valve chamber offers operating pressures of 250-280 psi.
- Rammer Housing – New ETek Rammer and Rammer Housing. No QEVs, but direct Fore and Aft Porting to Rammer. Does not accept any Ego 05 or 06 stock OR aftermarket rammers or rammer housings.
- Bolt Pin – New Shape. Plain Turned Pin. Larger diameter to allow easier grip and removal.
- Ball Detents – Same as Ego 6.
- Eye Covers – Same as ’05 Ego and Ego 6.
- LPR – Adjustable LPR. Remodeled cap. Large Valve chamber for low pressure operation.
- FRM – New Shape and Mounting system.
- Inline Reg – New Shape for ‘06 ETek, same internals as and Ego 5 and 6, Swivel Inlet.
- Frame – New Shape, larger trigger guard, single push-button, 3 x True-color LEDs, Rubberized aesthetic semi-transparent control console with EGO logo and viewing windows for LEDs, 4 x tapped bottom-line mounting holes. Spring trigger return, micro switch operation. Integrated slide rail/dove-tail
- Trigger – New for ‘06 ETek. Blade profile, radius edges, thinner section, centrally mounted trigger prong for enhanced PCB contamination protection.
- Parameters – Firing Mode, Eye Off ROF, Capped Modes ROF (Semi 1 is Uncapped), Valve Dwell, Debounce, Ball-in-Place.
- PCB – New for ‘06 ETek featuring a micro-switch trigger, 3 x True-color LED, Single external push button, single set-up button, all tourney modes: Semi, Capped Semi. Capped Ramping (NPPL, PSP, Millennium compatible), and a locking facility to make tournament legal.
- On/Off/Purge System – same as system found on SL66.
- Break-Beam Eyes – High efficiency break-beam eyes and advanced eye logic. Auto-off default.
- Grips – ‘05 Ego and Ego 6 Style mounting. Current grip is same as the existing Ego 6 grip. Soft rubber wrap-around with metal jewel Logo.
- Air Efficiency
- Bright display lights
- The bolt needs to be upgraded